This wonderful in-depth course is an artistic and technical guide for photographers interested in professional Beauty Photography. We always aim to shoot right in camera, so we teach how to produce images that will require as little post-production labor as possible through correct lighting and avoiding common mistakes. This course does not include retouching, but we are in the process of producing Retouching Academy courses that will cover those areas.
Our training consists of video segments (3 hours) and a digital book (103 pages). The digital book will guide you through the course. Please begin by reading the book and then watch the videos in the order of their appearance in it.
Though we do go over many important beginner subjects such as lens selection and understanding how strobes work, the majority of the materials cover Intermediate to Advanced-level workflow and technique.
We didn’t include 15+ hours of footage in our course, because we actually did the job of extracting only what’s important and packaging it into 3 hours of video, so you don’t have to waste your time trying to fish out the golden nuggets from dozens of hours of footage.
Studio lighting doesn’t have to be difficult or confusing, if you introduce structure and a good starting point into your studio routine, and that’s what Aleksey and Julia start their studio lighting training with.
Our goal is to teach you to confidently set up beautiful studio lighting and produce amazing images, as well as to lead your creative team and manage the creative process from inception to completion including selecting the right talent, working with models, make up artists and stylists for both commercial assignments and personal projects.
CHAPTER I: Intro & Preparation
- About the Authors & This Training
- Your Career & Ultimate Artistic Goals
Your Knowledge & Vision
- The Basics Every Photographer Must Know
- Developing Your Vision, Taste and Aesthetics
- How to “Read” Lighting
Cameras, Lenses & Lighting equipment
- Choosing the Right Cameras & Lenses For Your Work
- Choosing the Right For Specific Projects
- Camera Sensors: Full Frame & Crop Factor
- Crop Factor & Focal Length Multiplier
- Studio & Backdrop Choice
- Lighting Equipment
- Common Monolight Controls & Triggers
- Light Modifiers
Preparation is King
- Idea, Concept of a Shoot & Choosing the “Right” Team
- Helpful Documents For Your Work
CHAPTER II: Flawless Execution
- Shooting Tethered
- Standard Camera Settings
- Common Mistakes to Avoid While Shooting
- Day-of Briefing & Backup
- Working With Your Model
CHAPTER III: Lighting Setups
- Establishing Our Starting Point: Why & How
- Classic Portrait Setup: Various Types of Lights, Light Modifiers, etc.
- Celebrity Portrait: And More Ways to Fill in the Shadows
- Movie Style Setup: Cinematic Lighting: Adding Drama; Working with Smoke
- Hazy Colors Setup: Colorful Theme; Working with Color Gels and Smoke
- Jewelry Ad Setup: Another Colorful Setup; More on Working With Color Gels
- Clean Beauty: Other Ways of Creating Rim and Fill Light; White Background
- Full-Body: A Few Notes on Proper Full-Body Lighting
- Doubled Colored Shadows: Even More Ways to Use Color Gels
- Creative Mixed Lighting:
- Mixed Lighting: Fundamentals
- Mixed Lighting: Reflective Fabrics
- Mixed Lighting for Beauty
YOUR ASSIGNMENT LIST
Practice not until you can get it right, but until you can’t get it wrong.
- Call Sheet / Template
- Estimate for a commercial project / Template
- Model Release / Template
- Agency Test Package Request / Sample Letter to a Modeling Agency
- Client Project Questionnaire / Template
Table of Contents of the Digital Book
Our training consists of video segments (3 hours) and a digital book (103 pages).
The digital book is the core of the course. Please begin by reading the book and watch the videos in the order of their appearance in it.
Go Pro: Studio Beauty Digital Book Preview (HD)
Check out the reviews by the leading voices of the industry:
By Resource Magazine: Julia Kuzmenko’s New Tutorial Will Elevate Your Beauty Photography to New Heights
By Fstoppers: Fstoppers Reviews Go Pro: Studio Beauty Video Training
By SLR Lounge: REVIEW | JULIA KUZMENKO’S GO PRO: STUDIO BEAUTY
Our Students’ Testimonials: